<

Monday, August 08, 2005

Good morning!

Junkyard finds this weekend? Oh, you bet. Once again dropped by the Pull-a-Part on the way home Friday--I have been annoyed of late because the hood seemed to be closing a bit too far, leaving a noticeable difference in height between the fenders and the hood surface. Turns out the little rubber bumper/snubber things (the same kind as I got for the trunk lid) had been crushed to nothingness over the years, and there was no way to adjust them any further out. SO, I needed another set, and set out to get some more.

And, well, I wanted to go back and get those hubcaps I'd left in the white 242 on the end of the row. At the time I got the current set, I'd laid aside the three less-nice examples inside the trunk of the junker. But I couldn't get them out of my mind--what if I lost one of my good ones!? I'd have nothing (cheap) to replace it with! So, that was the other reason for going--to see if they were still there.

Got there in my nice clothes after work Friday, paid my buck, and zipped out to the Volvo area. Found several sets of mostly good condition rubber nipples, and then WAAAAIT--very interesting! That's the problem with going here--I keep finding things I want. Like a nice set of blue rear headrests. I've been looking on Ebay, and they're somewhat pricish. But these looked pretty nice and were still spongy and unripped. Of course, since I'd only come to find black rubber whozits, I didn't have the tools to get the headrests, so that's another project for another after work stop.

Went on back and found that my three castoff hubcaps were still in the trunk, although someone got two of the trim rings. ::sigh:: Oh well, that's not SO bad--trim rings are easier to find. Gathered up my hub covers and paid the princely sum of $6.34 and took off for home.

OTHER WEEKEND FINDS--on Ebay, I managed to snag an UNCRACKED, COMPLETE dashboard! HOORAY! Of course, it's black and tan, but I am confident that with some of the SEM Color Coat vinyl paint, I should be able to get it pretty close to the proper color. And it certainly beats paying close to $700 for a factory one. Well, kinda. It was still pretty 'spensive.

FINALLY, some new items in the Cafepress shop--I finally figured out you have to make some pretty big images, so this weekend in between typing Reba's paper, I would churn out some designs on Printmaster, print them out, scan them, fix them in Photo Editor, then save them. Yes, it's terribly kludgy--but it's the only way I have at the moment to do .png images. SO, stop by over there and see if there's anything that strikes your fancy, and remember if there is a design you like but it's not on the product you want, I can change it up so you can order what you want.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice tchotchkes. But I was right - you have gotten a new bunch of friends. All those hipsters who volunteered to have their pictures taken so you could sell stuff.

I admit a certain disappointment that no one offered to model the slingshot undergarments. What kind of a place are you running, anyway?

August 08, 2005 10:37 AM  
Blogger Terry said...

It's all of my invisible friends!! None of whom seem to be overweight!

As for what kind of place I'm running here, I'm not really sure.

August 08, 2005 11:41 AM  
Blogger Nate said...

Hey, rubber nipples! A favorite bit of foolishness from the old Ren & Stimpy cartoons! (Which I'm pretty certain was NOT a staple at the Casa del Possum.) Anyway, rubber nipples is funny no matter what.

August 08, 2005 12:32 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

Well, that would have required cable, so I can safely say that Ren and Stimpy's version isn't something I'd heard about. I wish I knew what the real name for these things is--protuberance? Distension? Protrusion? Buffer? Cushion? Doodangly?

It is a mystery. Or it will be until I decide to look in the shop manual.

August 08, 2005 12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you just love pull-a-part?

I picked up a few horns there last weekend off of a mid 80's Buick Park Avenue...

Those suckers are like a freight train!

August 08, 2005 2:11 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

I probably like it a bit too much.

I'll second you on those horns, though--my mother used to have a '79 Riviera, and the horns sounded just like a locomotive. I might have to get some...

August 08, 2005 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had problems with the image size in cafepress - Try out spreadshirt. I found it much easier and finally the possibility of printing on dark colors.

August 08, 2005 5:01 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

Hey, Ken--thanks for the tip. Obviously, something I hadn't ever had a need for, but I'll be sure to look it up and see what it'll do.

August 08, 2005 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home