<

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Premium Gas--What a Bargain!

It occurred to me the other day as I was filling up on some of that refined oil product we've been stealing from the Iraqis that with the increase in gas prices, something funny has been going on.

Back when gas was around two bucks a gallon for regular, stations would sell their midgrade for 10 cents more, and their premium for 20 cents more per gallon. Which, if I can manage to remember how to work my calculator, means that the cost for premium was about 10 percent more than regular.

Now that gasoline is knocking on three bucks a gallon, I noticed that the same $2.949, $3.049, and $3.149 price spread is still there. Premium still costs 20 cents more per gallon, but the difference between the high and low is now only a bit over six and three-quarters percent.

The reason I did all this figuring was because the other day the valves on the Volvo were rattling a bit more than usual on the regular grade, and I thought about getting a bottle of octane booster for it. But it occurred to me that to fill up with premium would only add about $2 to my bill, while a bottle of junk is more like $4. And now that premium is even less expensive relative to regular gas by percentage, I might decide to spring for it more often, just to keep the noise level down.

Anyway, it also makes me wonder about just exactly how much premium gas REALLY costs to make versus regular.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did the fill up with premium really help with the noise?

I just recently caught the moron bug - a 1990 240DL wagon with 127M miles in great mechanical shape and very good cosmetic condition. Her name is Rosie [the riveter because her muffler is a little noisy but it passed inspection and I kind of like the sound -- for the moment]

Can you do the cogito ergo volvo on a mug?

October 11, 2005 10:16 AM  
Blogger Terry said...

Hey, arrietty--yes, I put about half a tank in over the weekend, along with a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. I usually use cheap gasoline, and I think I might have gotten a bad batch a couple of weeks ago. But yes, the valve rattle calmed down appreciably, and it just drives a lot better with a bit higher octane. I imagine it's probably time to take it in and have the valves adjusted, but I'm holding off having to spend money until I absolutely have to.

Rosie sounds like she'll be a wonderful friend--at least until that muffler gets ready to drop off again. You probably already know it, but IPD has exhaust parts for it.

AS FOR THE MUG--you bet. Let me go over to the CafePress site and get it edited, and I'll post a note when it's ready. Should be within the hour.

October 11, 2005 10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much. IPD is on my favorites list.

I got her for $950 and after taxes and registration, I promised her she could have $300 worth of gifts. New e-brake console cover, some decorations from e-bay, and door pockets. Some of the exterior work I can do myself and I am with you when it comes to saving money. This is my retirement car. Having lived in big cities (NY & Philly) for the past 30 years, I haven't owned a car since my last VW bug in the 70s! I don't want fuzzy dice, but got (on e-bay) the hood emblem letters from a 1967 122S that I am going to use to make a mobile to hang from the mirror.

I am in love!

October 11, 2005 10:38 AM  
Blogger Terry said...

Keep us up to date on the progress--if you'd like, I'd be glad to post a picture of Rosie.

As for saving money, it REALLY helps if you have a good junkyard nearby. I have really come to enjoy the Pull-A-Part here in Birmingham, and have gotten a lot of things that would cost ten times as much from Ebay. The foru hubcaps and centers alone would probably go for over a hundred.

As you've found out, on an older car, any work you can do yourself is a big bonus.

October 11, 2005 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right. I am looking forward to locating junkyards after my retirement move to Maine. And thanks for the mug. I just ordered it from CafePress.

I would love to have a picture of Rosie on your site. How do I get it to you? I have a JPG file.

And thanks for giving us addicts a place to rave.

October 11, 2005 11:58 AM  
Blogger Terry said...

No problem at all--I need to thank YOU for ordering something. YOU'RE MY FIRST CUSTOMER! Let me know how the mug looks when you get it.

As for your photo, yes, just send it as an e-mail attachment to terryoglesbyATgmailDOTcom. (Obviously, replacing the AT and DOT with an @ and a .)

October 11, 2005 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I am honored and I will give you some feedback on the mug.

I sent the picture. It occurs to me that it might be too big a file. Let me know and I can take another one at lower resolution.

October 11, 2005 1:07 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

Hmm--so far, nothing has come through. The file size shouldn't be a problem with Gmail. If it bounces, be sure to check the spelling.

October 11, 2005 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home