<

Thursday, October 20, 2005

There is an old saying...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Which is why I'm driving the Odyssey this morning. Over the weekend while installing my new headlights, I decided I would clean the injector control fuse. This is the 25amp blade-type fuse on the left inside fender--the good folks from IPD note that this is a very vulnerable spot, and the fuse is subject to corrosion from water leaking by the hood.

I have a new waterproof fuse-holder I am going to install, but I didn't have time to do it Saturday, so I just pulled the fuse (which was hard to do, because it was gummed in there pretty tightly) and put a dab of dielectric grease on there to keep it clean.

When it came time to start the car, sure enough--plenty of turning, but no firing. I got out and pulled the fuse again--apparently my attempt to clean it only made the corrosion looser and made the contact even worse. I wiped the blades off, plugged it in, and it fired right up.

Fast forward to this morning--I was going to get to take it to work today, and it fired right up, but died at the bottom of the hill. Luckily, I was near the convenience store (how convenient!) so I popped the hood and hopped out, pulled the fuse, wiped it again, plugged it in, cranked it right up, and started on to get out on the highway. Sputter. Silence.

::sigh::

Repeat process, but this time I just turned around and drove back up the hill and swapped vehicles. It's an easily fixable problem, but not one I would relish happening at 70 miles per hour on the Interstate.

The worst part? It's always run just fine before I started mucking around with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home