<

Monday, July 17, 2006

More Junk!

I got to go junker diving Saturday, as I was looking for a newer upper timing belt cover. The original one had a crack in it caused by the water pump pulley, and I wanted it to be fixed completely. SO, off to Pull-A-Part, where I found out something I didn't know.

Seems there are different versions of the timing belt cover.

Oh, they all have the same part number, but as is common with such parts, running changes are sometimes made to the moldings by the supplier dring the production process to add reinforcement to weak areas of the part. I'm not sure of all the permutations, but there are at least three: the original one I had on my '86 had a single vertical stiffening rib molded to the inside surface, which ran from about the center bolt hole up to the top; the second type has a vee-shaped pair of ribs, running in about the same position as the single vertical; and the third type (which I wound up getting) has the vee-shaped reinforcement, as well as a semicircular rib around that middle bolt hole. I've seen several covers with this area around the bolt hole developing a crack, so if you have any choice in the matter, try to get the latest cover possible.

Got home, and found out it's MUCH more difficult to install than take the cover off. I thought I might be able to wedge it around without having to remove the fan and water pump pulley.

Errrrr, no.

Messed with the thing for nearly an hour before giving in and taking everything off and putting the cover on the right way. But it's on there now and looks just fine.

Next was to clean off some of the accumulation of grease and oil from the underside before I put the belly pan back on. Absolutely amazing how much stuff was on there, especially considering that I had already given it this treatment a couple of months ago. At least this time I was able to get underneath and really give it a good dousing.

Final step was to get the new pan installed. I had originally thought I would get one of the nice aluminum ones from IPD, but I just couldn't justify the expense. It went on fine, although two of the mounting bolts wouldn't stay in place. How they stayed in the first place I have no idea, but I had a couple of different ones from the spare parts bin that worked well enough.

All in all, a productive weekend. And still no leaks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home